Saturday, June 26, 2010

Thing #10

I liked exploring the different image generators. I used trading card maker to make a trading card about Pecos Bill. When we study different people in social studies, my students could make trading cards about each person.



I also like image chef and wordle, but this website is blocked at school. The technology department allowed us access to the website for a day. We were studying word choice in writing around the holidays, so my students each chose a holiday item and wrote all the words they could think of to describe the noun. They went into image chef and typed the words to create the picture of their noun. We uploaded the pictures in Photostory and the students narrated their picture. We were able to create a fun holiday movie with image chef to help students improve their word choice.

I also like the comic creator. I think this is a great tool to use when studying direct quotes. I know comics don't have the quotation marks and other punctuation in the speech bubble, but students could add them to demonstrate their understanding of direct quotations.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Stacy! I'm enjoying reading your blog and seeing your wonderful examples. I share your frustration, as my school district blocks quite a few great sites. Interestingly, we are able to get to Wordle and create a Wordle; however, the gallery is blocked. Oh well, we work with what we have and hope for the future! Have fun ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trading cards are hands down my favorite of all the 23 Things - at least in my teaching life. The kids love them and they are so versitle.

    The more I read in the other's comments the luckier I feel to work for SBISD where all of the "things" are now unblocked. Wasn't always like that so hang in there - change does happen.

    ReplyDelete